Re: Full disclosure (was Grand Canyon Tears America Apart )

From: Joel Moore <joelmoore@psu.edu>
Date: Tue Jan 27 2004 - 12:30:26 EST

>On Monday, January 26, 2004, at 12:05 PM, Ted Davis wrote:
>
>>My instinct, often voiced on this forum, that death before the fall is the
>>fundamental *theological* force behind YEC, was confirmed once again. This
>>was the most significant objection offered to the "old" earth positions I
>>presented, and it came up immediately at just the appropriate points.
>>
>I agree that this is a huge issue. Another one is the issue of
>randomness. It is frequently said that random variations in genomes
>drive evolution. If the Christian misinterprets "random" to mean
>"uncaused" then of course he must reject evolution because _nothing_
>is uncaused. The Christians who misinterpret "random" in this way
>are not totally to blame -- some scientists, including Richard
>Dawkins, encourage this misinterpretation. R. C. Sproul wrote a
>little book called "Not a chance" a while ago that debunked the idea
>that "chance" could be the cause of anything. Too bad he didn't go
>on and outline the legitimate uses of random processes in science.
>
>Bill Hamilton Rochester, MI 248 652 4148

Does anybody now what historical trends led to "randomness" being
seen as one of the big problems with evolution? My understanding is
that William Jennings Bryan and others of that period argued against
evolution because they thought determinism was the problem. What led
to that flip?

Thanks,
Joel

--