Re: Canadian Coal - depositional setting

From: Bill Payne <bpayne15@juno.com>
Date: Mon Jan 26 2004 - 20:02:31 EST

It is a shame that Bill didn't respond to the veggie mat problem at least
that I saw (If I am wrong, my apologies--50 lashes with a wet noodle).

You're right as usual, Glenn. I'll take your lashes for ignoring you.

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 18:36:37 -0600 "Glenn Morton"
<glennmorton@entouch.net> writes:

> Bill, can you possibly explain why not a single veggie mat with
Cretaceous
> animals grounded during the Pennsylvanian? or one with Pennsylvanian
animals
> grounded during the Cretaceous? What prevented them from running into
> shallow water?

As you told me not long ago about something or other I asked you - "I
don't know." I would agree with you that the succession of animals in
the fossil record is very strong evidence for long ages and evolution. I
just like to keep my mind open to other possibilities.

> Another question Bill. Why wouldn't one single veggie mat float out to
the
> deep ocean and even if it didn't form a massive coal seam, why didn't
one
> single veggie mat floating in the turbulent waters of the flood fall
apart
> dumping their animals into the drink to be fossilized in deep water?
In
> your model the Deep Sea Drilling Project should have found some dead
land
> animals in the cores they have taken all over the earth.

I am under the impression that the DSDP cores consist of mainly ooze;
that seems to be all I have ever seen in photos (as far as I can
remember). Do they contain the skeletons of marine vertebrates?

Bill

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!