Re: Full disclosure (was Grand Canyon Tears America Apart )

From: wallyshoes <wallyshoes@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon Jan 26 2004 - 20:45:16 EST

William Hamilton wrote:

> On Monday, January 26, 2004, at 12:05 PM, Ted Davis wrote:
>
> > My instinct, often voiced on this forum, that death before the fall is
> > the
> > fundamental *theological* force behind YEC, was confirmed once again.
> > This
> > was the most significant objection offered to the "old" earth
> > positions I
> > presented, and it came up immediately at just the appropriate points.
> >
> I agree that this is a huge issue. Another one is the issue of
> randomness. It is frequently said that random variations in genomes
> drive evolution. If the Christian misinterprets "random" to mean
> "uncaused" then of course he must reject evolution because _nothing_ is
> uncaused. The Christians who misinterpret "random" in this way are not
> totally to blame -- some scientists, including Richard Dawkins,
> encourage this misinterpretation.

I would go a step further and say that most Christians who regard the use of
the word "random" as meaning "uncaused" are simply using the word in its
common usage. * Dawkins, Gould and other non theists are using the word in
it's common connotation. It is a serious mistake (IMO) to think that many
Christians will ever accept the notion that evolutionary "randomness" is
reconcilable with Christianity. Until the word itself is eliminated, the
plain vanilla (non scientific) Christian will think of random the way that
Dawkins does.

(And to tell the truth, I don't think that evolution _is_ random.)

walt

* my (non-scientific) dictionary says that at random means "without definite
aim, direction, rule, or method".

--
Walt Hicks <wallyshoes@mindspring.com>