Re: Full disclosure (was Grand Canyon Tears America Apart )

From: William Hamilton <whamilton51@comcast.net>
Date: Mon Jan 26 2004 - 19:28:57 EST

On Monday, January 26, 2004, at 12:05 PM, Ted Davis wrote:

> My instinct, often voiced on this forum, that death before the fall is
> the
> fundamental *theological* force behind YEC, was confirmed once again.
> This
> was the most significant objection offered to the "old" earth
> positions I
> presented, and it came up immediately at just the appropriate points.

I agree that this is a huge issue. Another one is the issue of
randomness. It is frequently said that random variations in genomes
drive evolution. If the Christian misinterprets "random" to mean
"uncaused" then of course he must reject evolution because _nothing_ is
uncaused. The Christians who misinterpret "random" in this way are not
totally to blame -- some scientists, including Richard Dawkins,
encourage this misinterpretation. R. C. Sproul wrote a little book
called "Not a chance" a while ago that debunked the idea that "chance"
could be the cause of anything. Too bad he didn't go on and outline
the legitimate uses of random processes in science.

Bill Hamilton Rochester, MI 248 652 4148