Re: Full disclosure (was Grand Canyon Tears America Apart )

From: William Hamilton <whamilton51@comcast.net>
Date: Sun Jan 25 2004 - 17:57:54 EST

On Sunday, January 25, 2004, at 11:15 AM, Dawsonzhu@aol.com wrote:

> But people (especially the average Joe and Jane in the pew) are not
> even remotely prepared to make this kind of evaluation of
> science.  For one thing, there is family, a job to deal with and
> simply no time to think so deeply.

I think you've hit the nail squarely on the head, Wayne. The average
Christian is neither a theologian nor a scientist. So he relies on
trusted experts. Ideally trusted Christian experts. And the trusted
Christian experts most available are usually young earth creationists.
It seems to me that if we're really serious about educating Christians
we have to reach the pastors and the students. I happen to know that
Wheaton College and Calvin College are both doing a pretty good job of
reaching the students -- at least insofar as making the case for an old
earth is concerned. My sons, one a Calvin grad, the other a Wheaton
grad, are not outspoken about their views, but both accept an old earth
and evolution, and both are solid Christians. Progress is and will
continue to be slow, but I think we are making progress -- at least in
some quarters.

Bill Hamilton Rochester, MI 248 652 4148