Re: Study: Red Sea parting was possible

From: gordon brown <gbrown@euclid.colorado.edu>
Date: Fri Jan 23 2004 - 18:18:43 EST

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Ted Davis wrote:

> This is not new news, several times folks have discussed such possibilities.
> See esp, Doron Nof and Nathan Paldor in Bulletin of the American
> Meteorological Society (1992): 305-314.
>
> ted

> http://washingtontimes.com/upi-breaking/20040121-080423-3978r.htm
>
> Study: Red Sea parting was possible
>
> ST. PETERSBURG, Russia, Jan. 21 (UPI) -- Russian mathematicians have
> determined the legendary parting of the Red Sea that let the Jews flee
> Egypt was possible, the Moscow Times reported.
>
> The study, published in the Bulletin of the Russian Academy of Sciences,
> focused on a reef that runs from the documented spot where the Jews
> escaped Egypt, which in Biblical times, was much closer to the surface,
> according to Naum Volzinger, a senior researcher at St. Petersburg's
> Institute of Oceanology, and a colleague based in Hamburg, Alexei
> Androsov.
>
> The mathematicians calculated the "strong east wind that blew all that
> night" mentioned in the Bible needed to blow at a speed of 67 miles per
> hour to make the reef, said Volzinger, who specializes in ocean
> phenomena, flooding and tidal waves.
>
> "It would take the Jews -- there were 600,000 of them -- four hours to
> cross the 4.2-mile reef that runs from one coast to another. Then, in
> half an hour, the waters would come back," he said.
>
> The Egyptian army that followed them drowned in the sea.
>
> "I am convinced that God rules the Earth through the laws of physics,"
> Volzinger told the Times.

My recollection of the article by Nof and Paldor is that they computed the
ability of a strong wind to expose a shallow crossing, but that they
didn't specify the exact location except that it was in the Gulf of Suez
or maybe the Bitter Lakes. The account of the Russian study is much
sketchier than I would like. It deals with a particular reef whose
location they seem to think is precisely documented in the Bible, but the
article doesn't tell us exactly where it is.

I am wondering if it might be the reef that runs across the Straits of
Tiran at the entrance to the Gulf of Aqaba. Even though I take a dim view
of his involvement in attempts to find Noah's ark and the ark of the
covenant, I think that Robert Cornuke makes a strong case for this reef to
be the one of the Red Sea Crossing. He has identified Jabal al Lawz, an
8000-foot mountain in the northwest corner of Saudi Arabia as the real Mt.
Sinai. He sneaked into a restricted military zone to reach this mountain.
This location is in what was the land of Midian. The most striking thing
about the photos of the mountain is that its higher elevations appear to
be scorched. There are two altars at the base along with the bases of
twelve pillars. There is a cave in the mountain. There is a rock with a
long vertical split from which a dry stream bed emanates. Between this
mountain and the proposed site of the Red Sea Crossing there is a
palm-studded oasis with twelve springs. This mountain seems to have
everything that Mt. Sinai had except the burning bush.

Gordon Brown
Department of Mathematics
University of Colorado
Boulder, CO 80309-0395