Re: Canadian Coal - depositional setting

From: Kevin Sharman <ksharman@pris.bc.ca>
Date: Fri Jan 23 2004 - 16:17:21 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Payne" <bpayne15@juno.com>
To: <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Cc: <asa@calvin.edu>
Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2004 10:44 PM
Subject: Re: Canadian Coal - depositional setting

> Hi Dave,
>
> I'm beginning to wonder how competent I am. :-)
>
> I have always assumed that these burrows were produced by marine animals,
> which wouldn't have been destroyed in the Biblical Flood (only
> air-breathing animals were). I also assume that the same animals didn't
> have to burrow up through miles of sediment, but that the marine
> burrowers were alive throughout the Flood and new animals were washed in
> with each new layer of sediment.

Check out the Trace Fossil Image Database at:
http://www.emory.edu/COLLEGE/ENVS/research/ichnology/images.htm and
http://earthsci.org/palaeo/tracef/tracef.html for trace fossil info.

The first one lists the burrows found by Carmichael as being from dwelling
and feeding burrows of marine worms (Paleophycus, Macaronichnus), filter
feeders (Skolithos, Diplocraterion) and crustaceans (Ophiomorpha). It is
important to realize that the trace fossils are named not for the organism
that made them, but for the morphology of the trace. Different animals can
make the same trace fossil.

> We do find vertebrate trackways of air-breathing animals in Pennsylvanian
> sediments, which in my view were flood sediments. I think Glenn says on
> his web site that this proves that the YEC Flood couldn't have been
> deeper than the length of the animals' legs. I believe that there were
> floating islands of vegetation which served as rafts for animals, and
> when the rafts grounded (as I would have to say they periodically did
> during the flood)
If you are saying that vertebrates, along with worms and crustaceans, were
carried on floating mats and then got off when the mats grounded, this is at
odds with the classic flood geology scenario as I understand it. Supporters
point to the Bible as clearly stating that the entire earth was submerged
during the duration of the flood, until the last stages when the water
receded. Since trace fossils of these kinds occur throughout the
Phanerozoic record, and vertebrate trackways since the late Paleozoic, your
grounding mats explanation doesn't fit this. Unless you are saying that the
worms and crustaceans rained down from the mats like roots and peat. Then
please explain why the trace fossils are not found in every marine rock
type - much like why coal is not found in every rock type. Even worms etc.
that didn't survive in their new environment after being rained down from a
mat should have wriggled around as they died.

Furthermore, the distribution of animals in the fossil record is not
consistent with this explanation. I will let Glenn jump in with some links
to his extensive writings on this - the distribution of fossils from a
scenario you propose would be that all the pre-flood animals would be
represented in the lowest flood strata, then fewer and fewer of these
species as the strata were deposited and species went extinct. This is not
what we see.

But we digress from coal....