RE: Full disclosure (was Grand Canyon Tears America Apart )

From: Glenn Morton <glennmorton@entouch.net>
Date: Fri Jan 23 2004 - 06:43:58 EST

There is a book written by a friend, Ed Babinski, called Leaving the Fold.
He has many tales of people who used to be fundamentalist and are now
atheists or agnostic. Many left because they felt the facts were at odds
with the Bible. And they weren't scientists. One friend of mine,Jim Lippard
has an article in the book:

"A second, related event was that I tried to argue with some friends that
creationism was true and evolution was false, based mainly on what I had
read in Eads's book (an the lack of good gounterarguments in our high school
biology text). I was surprised to find that they were not easily swayed.
Instead, they offered objections that I was unable to answer." Jim Lippard,
"From Fundamentalism to Open-ended Atheism, in Babinski Ed. Leaving the
Fold, (Amherts NY: Prometheus Press, 1995), p. 323

"Around my junior or senior year of high school I began to encounter som
difficulties with the Bible--in the multiple creation accoutns, for example,
I began to have some doubts, and to actively seek out flaws in my religious
beliefs. I began asking questions in Sunday School to which the teachers
did not have satisfactory answers (At one point, this led to the high school
pastor meeting with me for breakfast several times to discuss things with
me, trying to make sure I kept the faith." Jim Lippard, "From
Fundamentalism to Open-ended Atheism, in Babinski Ed. Leaving the Fold,
(Amherts NY: Prometheus Press, 1995), p. 323 -324

Ed Babinski wrote:
        "Thus, I was awakend to the shocking thought that the authors of hte bible
may have taken for granted that the earth was flat! and the more I studied
the matter, (at first to debunk it) the more Bible verses I found that
implied a strictly horizontal view of the cosmos." Edward T. Babinski, "If
it wasn't for Agnosticism..." in Babinski Ed. Leaving the Fold, (Amherts NY:
Prometheus Press, 1995), p. 221

Finding out that one has bad and indefensible arguments is part of the
conversion process.