Re: Canadian Coal - depositional setting

From: Bill Payne <bpayne15@juno.com>
Date: Fri Jan 23 2004 - 00:44:00 EST

Hi Dave,

I'm beginning to wonder how competent I am. :-)

I have always assumed that these burrows were produced by marine animals,
which wouldn't have been destroyed in the Biblical Flood (only
air-breathing animals were). I also assume that the same animals didn't
have to burrow up through miles of sediment, but that the marine
burrowers were alive throughout the Flood and new animals were washed in
with each new layer of sediment.

We do find vertebrate trackways of air-breathing animals in Pennsylvanian
sediments, which in my view were flood sediments. I think Glenn says on
his web site that this proves that the YEC Flood couldn't have been
deeper than the length of the animals' legs. I believe that there were
floating islands of vegetation which served as rafts for animals, and
when the rafts grounded (as I would have to say they periodically did
during the flood) the critters walked off the raft and left their tracks
in the mud. Then more sediment would wash in and cover/preserve the
tracks, and drown some more of the animals.

Hope that helps. Others are welcome to comment.

Bill

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 20:48:01 -0700 "D. F. Siemens, Jr."