Re: Full disclosure (was Grand Canyon Tears America Apart )

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Thu Jan 22 2004 - 20:20:42 EST

Sheila Wilson wrote:
> The law does NOT bring us to repentance - that is not scriptural. The
> law tells us where we are wrong and nothing more. God's grace allows
> us to become new again. We are holy not because of what we have or
> have not done but because God makes us innocent by cleansing us with
> the blood of the Lamb.

        I suspect that you may be using "repentance" in a broad sense to include
acceptance of God's grace through faith. But in the narrow sense repentance means
knowing one's sin, fearing its consequences, knowing one's need for help. It is to be
distinguished from faith in Christ, as hunger is to be distinguished from getting food.
& it is the law (again in the strict sense) that makes us aware of sin (Rom.3:20) & thus
of the need for the gospel (again in the strict sense).
        This is completely scriptural: It is why the prophets virtually always begin by
using the law to accuse people of sin. Proclamation always has the form "Repent - and
believe the gospel" (Mk.1:15). It is also completely logical: Who will agree to have
radical surgery before getting a diagnosis that says it's necessary?
        This in no sense means that we are saved or sanctified by what we have done or
not done. The principal function of the law is to unmask sin & in that sense the old
Lutheran theologians said "the law always accuses." The law does not save us but shows
the need for salvation in Christ.

> Young earth creationists often say that our salvation is on the line
> when we believe the earth is older than 6000 years old or 12,000 or
> whatever the magic number is. Rather than debating the age of the
> earth, we need to return to the doctrine of grace. Ephesians 2:8
> says, For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this
> not from yourselves, it is the gift of God.

        The YEC claim that you note in your 1st sentence is of course wrong. & because
it is wrong, we unfortunately need to spend some time correcting it. This is not
because a person with YEC views cannot be saved but because they can mislead others.

                                                Shalom,
                                                George

George L. Murphy
gmurphy@raex.com