Re: Full disclosure (was Grand Canyon Tears America Apart )

From: Sheila Wilson <sheila-wilson@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu Jan 22 2004 - 12:12:40 EST

The law does NOT bring us to repentance - that is not scriptural. The law tells us where we are wrong and nothing more. God's grace allows us to become new again. We are holy not because of what we have or have not done but because God makes us innocent by cleansing us with the blood of the Lamb.

Young earth creationists often say that our salvation is on the line when we believe the earth is older than 6000 years old or 12,000 or whatever the magic number is. Rather than debating the age of the earth, we need to return to the doctrine of grace. Ephesians 2:8 says, For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God.

Our salvation is independent of how old the earth is or how old we believe the earth is. When people understand this truth, they will be more open to other truths and our theories of how old the earth is.

Sheila

George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com> wrote:
Sheila Wilson wrote:
> Maybe we should look at the Biblical approach. The Bible clearly says
> that we are brought to repentance by the goodness of God. Yes, this
> is often perceived as a naive way of presenting information. From
> personal experience, I know that when someone attacks or is
> aggressive I become defensive rather than listen to what they have to
> say. When someone says, let's talk about stuff, I am much more likely
> to listen............................
Sheila -
While it is ultimately the goodness of God (i.e., God's desire that all should
be saved & the work of the Holy Spirit) that brings people to repentance, the immediate
cause of repentance is God's law rather than gospel. (I am using the terms in their
narrow technical sense.)
What I think this corresponds to in dealing with YECs is that they need to be
shown that they have been in error. Of course that should be done as charitably as
possible & with full regard for the person's situation & some respect for the reasons
they take the position that they do, but we still come to the point where we have to
say something equivalent to "You're wrong." If we flinch at that we won't get anywhere.

Shalom,
George

George L. Murphy
gmurphy@raex.com