Re: Full disclosure (was Grand Canyon Tears America Apart )

From: Michael Roberts <michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Thu Jan 22 2004 - 11:20:34 EST

George

My point is a simple one, despite apparent similarities YEC ideas of today
have no roots in the pre-1800 period, as those "geologists" were using
Genesis in a different way which was far more tentative. In the late 17th
Century Ray etc used the Flood as an explanation of strata more as an
inference of the best bit from the evidence available rather than something
to be held on to dogmatically as if their faith would collapse if they did
not accept it.

There are simply no candidates in the past who are comparable in the science
to YEC, except McCready Price and a few like Fairholme in the 1830s whom
Mortenson of AIG claimed were "scientists".
Just because before 1700 it was possible to accept "special creation and a
Young earth" - no evidence to contrary, it does not mean that those people
approached the natural world in the same cavalier way as do YECs.

Michael