Re: Full disclosure (was Grand Canyon Tears America Apart )

From: Don Winterstein <dfwinterstein@msn.com>
Date: Wed Jan 21 2004 - 10:57:17 EST

Burgy wrote:

"What I do call for is for mainstream science to pay more attention
to the YEC arguments, by "welcoming" them into the discussion (in
moderation, of course), and publicly refuting them in discussion."

A problem with this approach is that you're unlikely to effectively refute "informed" YECs in a public discussion. YECs will bring out their technical arguments, scientists will present technical reasons as to why those arguments are invalid, but the public will just see two sets of experts that disagree on technical details. Unless a member of the audience is unusually well informed and can follow the arguments, he will have little reason to change his mind. Furthermore, it's often the YEC who's the more practiced and effective debater, as debating skills are usually of secondary importance for scientists.

There's no substitute for careful consideration and evaluation of the scientific evidence of the sort one should engage in when taking a geology course. Limited public discussion cannot cover enough territory to settle anything.

Don