Re: Sulphur, Forams and Partings in Coal

From: Kevin Sharman <ksharman@pris.bc.ca>
Date: Tue Jan 20 2004 - 00:47:59 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Payne" <bpayne15@juno.com>
To: <ksharman@pris.bc.ca>
Cc: <asa@calvin.edu>
Sent: Monday, January 19, 2004 8:29 PM
Subject: Re: Sulphur, Forams and Partings in Coal

> On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 22:48:50 -0700 "Kevin Sharman" <ksharman@pris.bc.ca>
> writes:
>
> {KS replies} Please describe a mechanism for accumulating mats of peat
> hundreds of feet thick in the pre-flood timeframe, which I understand to
> be a few thousand years, using modern rates of peat accumulation which
> you quoted on Nov. 28, 2003:
>
> Looking at the data, I am driven towards a floating-mat model for
> deposition of Pennsylvanian coals. So far, I am thinking that this model
> will also work for your Cretaceous coals. My best guess for the
> formation of thick mats is a massive wave which overtopped the
> continents, ripping up all vegetation as it went, and depositing it in
> continental seas. Again, I'm not concerned with the timeframe at this
> point.

Are you contending that there were peat mats hundreds of feet thick in the
pre-flood timeframe?

> {KS} Are you contending that the interseam sediments (up to 30 meters
> thick between seams) are turbidites?
>
> {BP} I would say that the interseam sediments are subaqueous deposits,
> as are the coals. They may not be turbidites.

"Sub-aqueous deposits" covers just about everything in sed geology except
for sand dunes. This is vague. Please propose a more specific mechanism
which explains linear and branching channel sandstones and conglomerates,
which are found between coal seams in most coal successions.

> {KS} I noticed that you have not answered my question about how you
> would dilute the seawater underneath a floating mat to produce a low
> sulphur coal. Are you still thinking about it?
>
> {BP} Inland seas might become fresh water with sufficient, torrential
> rains. Or, if the sea only had one outlet to the ocean, it would be
> fresh water in the first place.

Please run a calculation by us, using an inland sea of your choice. Take
the volume of the sea, then calculate the amount of fresh water needed to
dilute the seawater to below the brackish point.

That reminds me....I'm still waiting on an answer to my question (Jan 5th):
"How do you explain the fact that only sediments characteristic of shallow
marine and non-marine environments have coal in them, if all of the above
rocks were being deposited underneath a floating mat?" Please realize,
Bill, that I'm not trying to taunt you, I am interested in your answer.

See you,

Kevin