Re: Sulphur, Forams and Partings in Coal

From: Bill Payne <bpayne15@juno.com>
Date: Mon Jan 19 2004 - 22:29:33 EST

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 22:48:50 -0700 "Kevin Sharman" <ksharman@pris.bc.ca>
writes:

{KS replies} Please describe a mechanism for accumulating mats of peat
hundreds of feet thick in the pre-flood timeframe, which I understand to
be a few thousand years, using modern rates of peat accumulation which
you quoted on Nov. 28, 2003:

Looking at the data, I am driven towards a floating-mat model for
deposition of Pennsylvanian coals. So far, I am thinking that this model
will also work for your Cretaceous coals. My best guess for the
formation of thick mats is a massive wave which overtopped the
continents, ripping up all vegetation as it went, and depositing it in
continental seas. Again, I'm not concerned with the timeframe at this
point.

{KS} Are you contending that the interseam sediments (up to 30 meters
thick between seams) are turbidites?

{BP} I would say that the interseam sediments are subaqueous deposits,
as are the coals. They may not be turbidites.

{KS} I noticed that you have not answered my question about how you
would dilute the seawater underneath a floating mat to produce a low
sulphur coal. Are you still thinking about it?

{BP} Inland seas might become fresh water with sufficient, torrential
rains. Or, if the sea only had one outlet to the ocean, it would be
fresh water in the first place.

Bill

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!