Re: Grand Canyon Tears America Apart in Battle Between Science and Faith

From: Dick Fischer <dickfischer@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon Jan 19 2004 - 11:50:15 EST

Burgy wrote:

>My point is that the current state of affairs are not leading to an
>acceptable (for non-YECs) solution. We are losing. Big time.
>
>My solution is to quit marginalizing them, to follow the precepts in THE
>FRACTURE OF GOOD ORDER, in the hope that true debate WILL take place.
>
>I do not think my solution is the only one -- it is perhaps not the best
>one -- it is all I have to offer.

Can I offer something? Cut and paste the following message into an
introduction of your own, and email it far and wide. Those who get your
message might do the same thing, and so on. Just getting the phrase
"biblical literalism" replaced with "biblical distortionism" as descriptive
of the YEC phenomenon could eventually root them out.

         ----------------------------------

Winston Churchill said, "A lie gets halfway around the world before the
truth has a chance to get its pants on." An excellent example is the
controversy over the age of the earth; and what does the Bible say about that?

Is the earth and universe less than 10,000 years old? Were trilobites and
brachiopods of the Cambrian era still swarming the oceans when Adam tasted
forbidden fruit? Did all human and animal life perish in a worldwide
flood? Did Noah load dinosaurs on his ark? Those who say "yes" to these
questions also say they take the Bible literally. But is Genesis a
legitimate source of this curious version of history? The answer may
surprise you.

The current issue of Perspectives on Science and Christian Faith, journal
of the American Scientific Affiliation (<http://www.asa3.org/>ASA),
contains an article that could change the equation in Christian
apologetics. It has been long thought by both Christians and secularists
alike that regardless of how scientifically-repugnant young-earth
creationism (YEC) may be, nevertheless it has been thought to be grounded
in biblical literalism.

This article effectively removes the Bible as the foundation of YEC
arguments. The focus is on mistakes in translation and interpretation,
some of it subtle, some of it obvious, that have led countless millions of
believers and non-believers to wrong conclusions. When errors in
translation and interpretation are removed, Genesis does appear to have
genuine historical integrity, and is entirely comfortable with the latest
revelations of modern science. Plus, it can be taken literally!

This is the
<http://www.genesisproclaimed.org/resources/YEC%20Article.pdf>article (PDF
file) that addresses earth age from a biblical perspective. The
<http://www.genesisproclaimed.org/resources/YEC%20Article.pdf>article makes
the point that young-earth creationism (YEC) is not biblical literalism at
all, but "biblical distortionism."

(To view the article you need to
<http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html>download Adobe Reader.)

Please forward this message or cut and paste into your own.

This message needs to reach every Christian, every scientist, every
person. If you see value in it, take the next step and send it to your
friends and colleagues. Help us get the truth into it's trousers and out
the door. It has a lot of catching up to do.

www.genesisproclaimed.org