Re: Grand Canyon Tears America Apart

From: William Hamilton <whamilton51@comcast.net>
Date: Mon Jan 19 2004 - 10:22:35 EST

On Sunday, January 18, 2004, at 10:38 PM, Keith Miller wrote:

> To give all ideas equal public standing is to essentially accept a
> relativistic view of truth. But science is hardnosed in believing
> that there really is objective reality that can be known, and that
> some ideas about that reality simply are false. I do not want the
> government to be supporting the dissemination of material that I know
> to be factually false.

I agree with Keith, but I don't believe that allowing a creationist
book to be sold in a bookstore on the premises of the National Park
Service amounts to giving creationism equal public standing. Perhaps
the best approach for the government would be to simply post a
disclaimer over the book rack stating that the display of a book does
not imply government endorsement.

BTW, I am about halfway through "Perspectives on an evolving creation"
which Keith edited and contributed to. IMO this book could do a great
deal to educate the folks in the pews. It makes points on the sciences
while giving due respect to Scripture. I think you've done a fine job,
Keith. While I'm on the subject, I might mention that over labor day
weekend I became aware of a Sunday School class in a Wesleyan church in
upstate NY that was studying Kenneth Miller's "Finding Darwin's God".
I read the book and felt that the tone was a bit too strident for most
evangelicals to appreciate, but perhaps the fact that that SS class
studied it proves me wrong. There _is_ hope, folks. The other side
does seem to have overwhelming and growing strength, but it's not
monolithic.

Bill Hamilton Rochester, MI 248 652 4148