Re: Grand Canyon Tears America Apart in Battle Between Science and Faith

From: Ted Davis <tdavis@messiah.edu>
Date: Sun Jan 18 2004 - 15:59:37 EST

Wally asks, who on this list ever concedes a point to YECs?

I can speak only for myself. I do not agree with YECs about how scientific
information is to be interepreted, when it comes to origins. I might
perhaps agree with a specific critique or two, but not obviously the overall
outline.

However, in cultural terms I agree substantially with some YEC complaints
about public education. I agree that public education suppresses dissent on
issues related to origins, I agree that public education often (perhaps
usually) trivializes religion, and I agree that some very important and
highly visible scientists have made a religion out of science, incl
evolution. I also agree that many liberal Christians have molded their
theology around evolution, esp by adopting some type of process theology or
some other theology that effectively denies the transcendence of God and/or
human sinfulness--and that this is not biblical.

How's that, for starters?

ted