Re: Grand Canyon Tears America Apart in Battle Between Science and Faith

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Sat Jan 17 2004 - 21:51:27 EST

John W Burgeson wrote:

> Complaints from Elders and others caused seven leading Earth-science
> organizations to write to the NPS on 16 December asking for the book to
> be removed from the shop —>>
>
> I, for one, think this is an absurd thing to do -- did we learn NOTHING
> from the similar campaign against Velikovsky some 30 or 40 years ago?
>
> When you marginalize a position, it just gives them legitimate reason to
> declare themselves as martyrs for the cause. And who is to say another
> view may similarly come under attack? What if the book was all about
> evolutionary theory and the attackers were YECs?
>
> The bookstore should be able to set its own policies about what will sell
> and what won't. The gov't ought not take a stand for or against any
> particular position, no matter how solid the science behind it. If the
> flat earth society publishes a book that will sell -- so be it.
>
> Does anyone know the names of these so called "leading Earth-science
> organizations?" I sure hope the ASA was not one of them.

        There are a number of things wrong with this argument but I will note only one.
Acceptance of the principle that "The gov't ought not take a stand for or against any
particular position, no matter how solid the science behind it" would mean that those
responsible for public (i.e., gov't) education would have no grounds for rejecting YEC &
other aberrations from scienec curricula.

                                                Shalom,
                                                George

George L. Murphy
gmurphy@raex.com