RE: Energy sources in the next 20 years

From: Al Koop <koopa@gvsu.edu>
Date: Wed Jan 14 2004 - 11:19:39 EST

GM:

According to my calculations, your assumption is wrong. I calculate (and
await verification) that 10 sq miles is about 26 million meters. The
direct
sunlight is 1370 W/m^2, but that is only with the sun directly overhead.

One can expect half of the time, it is dark and one will get on averages

somewhere between 25-35% total insulation (I haven't actually calculated

this but it isn't hard to do) but that means that each meter of solar
cells
floating on the ocean will recieve a daily average of 479 Watts. But
solar
cells are only 20% efficient so that reduces each meter to 96 Watts per
meter squared. Rounding up that is about 2500 megawatts per day from the
10
sq miles. California uses baseline around 10000 megawatts; peak demand
is
36,000 megawatts. Unless I have missed something (which is always a
possibility) I doubt that 10 sq miles will supply California.

AK:
Since this report was considering tidal or wave power, I am thinking
that the 10 sq mile is more like a 1000 mile long ribbon just offshore
that is 52.8 ft wide. Can one put tidal or wave power equipment
positioned in many rows back to back?