RE: Energy sources in the next 20 years

From: Al Koop <koopa@gvsu.edu>
Date: Tue Jan 13 2004 - 14:42:40 EST

Don Winterstein wrote:

Americans are definitely going to have to change their ways. The world
will look back on us not too many
decades hence and admire us for our accomplishments but castigate us for
our profligate wastefulness.
Still, if you have the money, why not spend it? It helps the economy.
We give thanks to God for his
blessings. We just need to recognize that our lifestyles don't seem to
be sustainable for the longer term.And waste is still wrong no matter
how much money we have.

AK:
I agree that your explanation seems to be the way it is. As a nation
the US will not do anything until there is
a crisis. I have no idea how to get our leaders to look ahead and ask
their people to use today's abundance to prepare for tomorrow's
shortfall. I go back to the story of Joseph and pharoah and storing the
excess of the 7 fat years for use during the 7 lean years as a example
that we don't seem to follow.

Thanks for your introduction to organic gardening. My father subscribed
to a journal called Organic Gardening already in the 1960's. We already
had compost piles at that time and grew most every kind of vegetable and
fruit that would grow in Michigan. Your description of your garden
brings back fond memories except for the picking of beans, strawberries,
peas, raspberries etc. I wish you sucess in combating your aphid
infestation and commend you for this project.

I agree that we will have to get back to smaller farms and more human
labor. The question I have is how much food we can produce under such
conditions. I went to a seminar a year ago where we visited an organic
farm. The couple running this farm had to leave their original farm
after urban sprawl surrounded it. They seemed to think that finding a
suitable new farm was difficult since the soil of most available farms
on sale had been so badly depleted. The question I have is how much we
will be able to produce from the average agribusiness farmland that has
been depleted of nutrients for the last 25 years or more. Also what
about the water situation that Pfeiffer describes? Will we have enough
water for the land that we are tilling now? Obviously suburbanites can
turn their lawns into gardens, but with the urbanization of society the
question becomes: Can we produce enough food to satisfy the needs of
all city dwellers without the use of fertilizers and pesticides.

We have to come to some level of population that is sustainable and find
a way to reach that level with the
minimum of human suffering. The question of Pfeiffer and myself is
whether that is possible. I think probably not.

Oil in the news recently:

Shell indicates that they overestimated their oil reserves by 20%.
Seems to make some investors apphrehensive.

Oil goes over $35 a barrel today.

The US continues to add to their strategic petroleum reserve to the
highest levels ever even at today's
prices which are higher than the futures market, much to the dismay of
some airline executives and economists who think this buying is
undermining the economy.