RE: Energy sources in the next 20 years

From: Al Koop <koopa@gvsu.edu>
Date: Tue Jan 13 2004 - 12:19:30 EST

Glenn Morton wrote:

The first thing which will attempt to replace oil will be LNG (liquified
natural gas). The entire industry has gone gaga over building the
plants. There is a fair amount of stranded natural gas, but it is
stranded because it costs too much to build the pipelines.

AK:

I read that there are large amounts of natural gas in Russia and the
Middle East. I understand that the US has four LNG processing
facilities in LA, MA, MD and SC. Getting it here also requires some
expensive transport ships. So are we currently building more ships and
processing plants? How much more does a thousand cubic feet of natural
gas cost if imported as LNG instead of coming from a local pipeline?

Also it seems like it should be possible to make fertilizer at the site
of the natural gas wells and ship the fertilizer to the US and other
countries. But I read in one of Matthew Simmons slides for one of his
talks that is presented on his website, that there are problems with
making fertilzer on site (or at least in the same country). What are
the problems with this?

Of course these are only solutions in the short term and can only only
postpone the need for other solutions for 10-20 years at the most.

Thanks for your input.

Al