RE: NT truth (formerly inerrancy?)

From: Don Perrett <donperrett@genesisproclaimed.org>
Date: Sun Jan 11 2004 - 23:38:56 EST

Jan said:
For that reason, I too believe now, that the discussion about YEC or not,
does not get us anywhere, because
a. of the different background of the people discussing the subject, and I
am sorry, that I every now and again feel that I have to state something.
b. the fact that we are not discussing, but just making statements.
c. we hardly listen to each other
d. the strange way that English speaking countries define "science", as if
all subjects included are dealing with the same kind of subject. The
subject to be dealt with requires a knowledge of old languages, yes, but as
well old ways of thinking, old religions (not only Israel's, but as well
the religions to which the prophets were reacting>)
e. dogmatics and its history.
etc.

Don P says:
It may not get anywhere for those who are already "certain" of their views.
It may not apply to those who do not care. But for those who are unsure or
for those with genuine curiosity about the natural world that God created it
is required. How would YOU study the universe? Through theological
discussion? One studies the universe through science. And if one believes
in a God, then through theology one studies why it was created. And for
those who do not believe it is discussed through philosophy. For some it
requires a little bit of each.

Jan said:
Sheila, it does not mean that we do not want to discuss, but only that the
task is overwhelming and takes years of study. There are "old" theologians
of the 19th century, who did nor reject "evolution", but did not discuss it
much because it was not in their field.

Don P says:
True but this was their choice. Does that mean that only those with
knowledge should aquire knowledge? Through these mundane unneccessary
discussions those of us without knowledge, but with perhaps preestablished
notions, seek further enlightenment.

Jan said: And, how do you suppose that God would speak to the first human
beings? Try to explain the Big Bang etc.? I think both sides should be
very careful to speak as if they know things religiously. After all we all
fall short.

Don P: The last statement is absolutely correct. And this is why one must
seek to learn. This can be done many ways including questioning,
discussing, reading and listening to more educated and enlightened people as
yourself. As for how God speaks to us, that I suppose is a matter of
opinion. My own view is that it is done in visions/dreams. This of course
is why authors are able to put their own views into the message God is
giving. If it were straight dictation, then I would expect that the message
given would be more direct and applicable to all for all time, not just for
the people of the time of the author.

Jan said:
I am willing to discuss but I feel that the playing field is far from
level. People who have not had any Hebrew schooling or scientific
schooling other than engineering etc. should be willing to accept that we
too, yes we may be wrong, but to convince us of that we have to talk on
another level.

Don P says:
Again, it seems that one must be perfect to discuss perfection. I suppose
that is how the Pharisees felt when Jesus came to them at a young age and
lectured them on Judaic writings. We of course now know that even a child
can have insight be it divine or intellectual (as with a child genius). The
only reason it is hard to convince those that are educated is because having
spent so much time in forming their opinions/facts they are nearly unable to
perceive anything else. It is the open minded (minds of babes) that are
able to see truth.

Don Perrett