Re: The Whole Bible Revealed in Zechariah (was Re: NT truth (formerly inerrancy?))

From: <richard@biblewheel.com>
Date: Sun Jan 11 2004 - 19:11:23 EST

From: "George Murphy"

> richard@biblewheel.com wrote:
> >
> > Hi Don,
> >
> > Thanks for the additional clarification. Most of your post concerned the
> > fact that the phrase "Word of God" often means *more* than just
Scripture. I
> > don't know why you bothered writing all that, because I said exactly the
> > same thing in my last post! Let me repeat. There seems to be three
> > fundamental referents to the phrase "Word of God" in Scripture, which
are
> > often conflated:
> >
> > 1) The Eternal Living Word: the Lord Jesus Christ
> > 2) The Power of God manifest physically
> > 3) The Written Word: sometimes individual Scriptures, sometimes the
whole
> > Bible.........................................
>
> I am jumping into the middle of this discussion because I think that there
are

> important points being missed.
> 1st, a serious discussion of this topic can't be confined to occurrence of
the
> precise phrase "Word of God" in scripture but must be sensitive to ways in
which clearly
> related phrases are used. E.g., the creation account of Gen.1 never uses
the phrase
> "Word of God" but the creative effect of "And God said ..." is clearly
related to it.
> 2nd, 1) & 2) above are not distinct. It's clear, e.g., that the language
of
> Jn.1:1-18, which is the classic text in which Christ is the Word (but not,
N.B.
> literally "the Word of God") is related to the powerful creative "word" of
Gen.1.
> 3d - a point frequently ignored - the oral proclamation of the "Word of
the
> LORD" by the prophets and the proclamation of Christ is the Word of God.
The apostles
> were proclaiming Christ, and thereby effectively bringing about faith,
before the NT
> scriptures were written. See, e.g., Rom.10:9-17, especially the last
verse.
> 4th, God's Word is accomanied by God's Spirit: Irenaeus called them the
two
> "hands" of God.
> 5th, recognition of the Bible as, in an appropriate sense, the Word of God
does
> not determine the literary genre of any of its parts.
>
> I take the liberty to quote here (as I probably have before) part of
Article 2
> of the constitution of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America - not
because I think

> that that status must compel acceptance but because it's a a very good
statement of the
> different aspects of the _one_ Word of God. (Karl Barth's treatment of
the topic makes
> similar distinctions.)
>
> "a. Jesus Christ is the Wor1d of God incarnate, through whom everythin g
was
> made and through whose life, death, and resurrection God fashions a new
creation.
> b. The proclamation of God's message to us as both Law and Gospel is the
Word
> of God, revealing judgment and mercy through word and deed, beginning with
the Word in
> creation, continuing in the history of Israel, and centering in all its
fullness in the
> person and work of Jesus Christ.
> c. The canonical Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments are the writtn
Word
> of God. Inspired by God's Spirit speaking through their authors, they
record and
> announce God's revelation centering in Jesus Christ. Through them God's
Spirit speaks
> to us to create and sustain Christian faith and fellowship for service in
the world."

> & again I emphasize that these are not 3 different Words of God but 1:
Jesus
> Christ is proclaimed on the basis of Scripture.
>
> Shalom,
> George

George,

Thanks for the input on this. Its exactly what I had hoped for. I asked for
refinement of the three points from other list members because I wrote them
"off the cuff" in the context of specifically accomodating Don's exclusive
definition of the Word of God as the "power of God physically manifest." I
certainly would have written things differently if I were going to formulate
a systematic theology of the Word.

I agree with everything you wrote, except "these are not 3 different Words
of God but 1" - I am confused because this does not differentiate Jesus
Christ as the living Word of God from the Bible as the written Word of God.
Did I miss something?

Richard
Discover the sevenfold symmetric perfection of the Holy Bible at
http://www.BibleWheel.com