Re: Radiocarbon Dating Accuracy

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Fri Jan 09 2004 - 21:52:22 EST

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 15:11:00 -0700 "Rich Blinne" <e-lists@blinne.org>
writes:
> I wonder what the YECs will do with today's Science magazine (Vol.
> 303
> pp. 178-9, 202-7). In it is a description of extending the
> calibration
> curves for C14 dating from 26,000 calendar years B.P. to 50,000
> calendar
> years B.P. by 2006. This shows yet again what has already been
> discussed
> on this list. Namely, C14 dating is reliable. I am not holding my
> breath that I will see this in the YEC literature, though.

Rich,
They'll do something like what they did earlier when the bristlecone
pines were used to calibrate the C14 dates. They stated that there were
often more than one growth ring produced in a year. They have also said
that a nearby supernova disrupted the normal half-lives.I'm confident
they can come up with something.
Dave