Re: The Whole Bible Revealed in Zechariah (was Re: NT truth (formerly inerrancy?))

From: Michael Roberts <michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Tue Jan 06 2004 - 18:02:33 EST

I note that the scholars you cite are of the Dispensationalist school,
except of course Foxe (I would like to know what he actually said). I do not
have much respect for Dispensationalism with it n dispensations and
virtually ignoring chunks of the bible for us in this "dispensation". They
have gone overboard on taking prophecy literally and adopting a gross
typological approach as George Murphy highlighted recently. The result is
that though they aimed to defend scripture they have reduced it to
absurdity. (Typology in the bible is important provided it is not
overblown.)
If you want to read more see "The Intellectual Disaster of Fundamentalism"
in Mark Noll's wonderful book "The Scandal of the Evangelical Mind" and read
all of the book.

Incidentally you cite Coffman and Unger on the word of the Lord in Zechariah
but in the OT prophets The Word of The Lord is NOT synonymous with the
bible.

It is interesting to note that a modified dispensationalist approach is
developing now which is more in line with scripture. However the Left Behind
series still sells well and does the Gospel no favours.

Michael