Re: NT truth (formerly inerrancy?)

From: Don Winterstein <dfwinterstein@msn.com>
Date: Tue Jan 06 2004 - 05:23:55 EST

Gary Collins wrote:

"...There are some verses in Peter's 2nd letter (2 Pe 3:15-16
"(15) Bear in mind that our Lord's patience means salvation, just as our
dear brother Paul also wrote to you with the wisdom that God gave
him. (16) He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of
these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to
understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do
the other scriptures, to their own destruction." (NIV) which suggest
that Peter at least saw Paul's writings as Scripture, even though the
canon had not then been formed...."

One must be careful in drawing detailed conclusions from translations; the NIV often adds words to give an interpretation rather than a strict translation. However, in this case "the other Scriptures" [my NIV capitalizes /Scriptures/] is strictly accurate and hence does suggest that Paul's letters had become part of an incipient canon. Interesting point.

Now if only we knew what "God-breathed" really means! --Almost certainly different things in different instances.

Don