Re: NT truth (formerly inerrancy?)

From: Gary Collins <gwcollins@algol.co.uk>
Date: Tue Jan 06 2004 - 09:07:32 EST

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 05:20:01 -0500, asa-digest wrote:

>Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 09:38:52 -0700
>From: John W Burgeson <jwburgeson@juno.com>
>Subject: Re: NT truth (formerly inerrancy?)
>
>On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 06:59:29 -0800 (PST) Sheila Wilson
><sheila-wilson@sbcglobal.net> writes:
>2 Timothy 3:16-17 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for
>teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the
>man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.>>
>
>It was also written some years before the gospels and before most of the
>NT, as I understand. The author, whom I assume to be Paul, had to be
>speaking only of the OT.
>
>Burgy

Hi Burgy,

You're probably right (and certainly Paul wouldn't jhave had the NT
canon). But there are some verses in Peter's 2nd letter (2 Pe 3:15-16
"(15) Bear in mind that our Lord's patience means salvation, just as our
dear brother Paul also wrote to you with the wisdom that God gave
him. (16) He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of
these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to
understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do
the other scriptures, to their own destruction." (NIV) which suggest
that Peter at least saw Paul's writings as Scripture, even though the
canon had not then been formed. (Assuming that Peter was actually
the author of the letters that bear his name). So maybe there were
writings outside of the OT, possibly even Paul's own, that were
also regarded as Scripture, and could have been included in the
all-encompassing text of 2 Tim 3 16 (?)

/Gary