Re: serious

From: Sheila Wilson <sheila-wilson@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon Jan 05 2004 - 17:01:19 EST

Michael,

That was exactly my point - we agree! Debating the age of the earth is fun, nothing more. The Bible does not specifically tell us the age of the earth, what year Adam was created, how old the stars are, or other information. The Bible does tell us that everything created by God points to God as the Creator and as our Savior and Redeemer. Debating is fun but we must not confuse what we know with what we assume. Many people have assumed that the earth was flat and young but the Bible does not say that. The Bible simply says that the earth was created - not how or when or what happened. The Bible says that Adam was created - not how or when or what happened.

The Bible does say that Jesus was born of a virgin, lived a holy, sinless life, and died on the cross as a sacrifice for our sins.

Like I said, we agree!

Sheila

Michael Roberts <michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
Glad you liked but I was deadly serious. Clearly we do have observational evidence that the earth is spherical, but the evidence for heliocentricity is no better than for a billions of years old earth. Further no evidence has been advanced against an ancient earth - alleged evidence is always shown to be false (there are lots of meanings of that word!)

My serious point is that the bible may not directly support a spherical or ancient earth - or rather gives no evidence. Thus on biblical grounds alone we may legitimately accept a flat and young earth. Once we accept a spherical earth we are bringing in extra-biblical arguments so why cant we do so for an ancient earth. The fact is that a YEC is holding a similar position to a flat-earther and we should say so. Strictly speaking none of these beliefs are necessary for a Christian BUT BUT BUT if you do accept a flat or young earth we make belief in Christ incredible to any normal person who has not had the YEC treatment.
People are being kept from a belief in Christ as Saviour but the YECs insistence in believing in a young earth and that if you dont you cant believe in the biblical God.

Michael

PS I have nothing but respect for those who before the evidence was available believed in a flat earth(before 200BC) , geocentricity (before 1550-1640)or 4000BC as the date of Creation(before 1800).