Re: Giberson & Yerxa vs Numbers

From: Ted Davis <TDavis@messiah.edu>
Date: Mon Jan 05 2004 - 12:13:29 EST

Joel writes:
I own Ronald Numbers' _The Creationists_ and am thinking about
purchasing Giberson & Yerxa's _The Species of Origins_. What are the
similarities and differences between the two books? How will reading
_The Species_ add to my knowledge of the topic?

Ted replies:
I know both books very well. They do not overlap that much--Numbers tells
a much larger historical story, from the late 19th century through the early
1980s, focusing on forms of antievolutionism and their social/religious
contexts. Giberson/Yerxa emphasizes the more recent history, pretty much
since the late 1980s, and is much more interdisciplinary in focus--drawing
on modern astronomy and biology as well as on sociology and anthropology.
I've used G/Y as a course text 3 times, with success. I recommend both
without reservation.

ted