Re: concordance & genesis (edited)

From: Peter Ruest <pruest@mail-ms.sunrise.ch>
Date: Mon Jan 05 2004 - 00:49:11 EST

Paul Seely wrote (1 Jan 2004):
> Peter wrote,
> > Seely interprets
> > Hebrew concepts on purely external ethnological grounds, concluding from
> > non-Hebrew "primitive" views that the correct interpretation of Genesis
> > 1 must be a flat-earth mythological one. He assumes without discussion
> > that even divine inspiration would make do with however erroneous the
> > world view of a prophet's cultural background might happen to be.
>
> I did not draw the conclusion that the OT speaks of a flat earth "on purely
> external ethnological grounds, concluding from non-Hebrew "primitive" views
> that the correct interpretation of Genesis 1 must be a flat-earth mythological
> one." ... The
> statement that my conclusion was based on "purely external" evidence is false
> and misleading ...
>
> <<On the other hand, Russell, J.B. (1997), Inventing the Flat Earth: Columbus
> and Modern Historians (Praeger, Westport, CT) demonstrates the recent
> origin of the "three-story-universe" myth.>>
>
> Russell's book is about the myth invented by fairly modern scholars that the
> Church and Western Christians before Columbus believed that the earth was
> flat. The fact is that the Church fathers for the most part were well aware of
> the sphericity of the earth and said so ... Your use of this book as an answer
> to what I wrote is misleading and unworthy of serious scholarship.
>
> Paul

Paul, you are quoting some sentences taken from an endnote of my 1999
PSCF paper with Armin Held
(http://www.asa3.org/ASA/PSCF/1999/PSCF12-99Held.html) - without any
ellipses and reference -, which I considered appropriate after reading
your papers cited. Apparently we keep disagreeing about their relevance.
I don't see your evidence as decisive or even applicable in the context
of what I claimed.

Peter