Re: Science and Spirit (was Re: Giberson & Yerxa vs Numbers #2)

From: Michael Roberts <michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Sun Jan 04 2004 - 08:46:21 EST

I looked this up on Science and Spirit website. Giberson is simply false on
the Calvin quote. I would have thought by now anyone moderately familiar on
Science and religion wouldn't repeat it.
The Sedgwick is true but out of context (perhaps Giberson
learnt how to give quotations from ICR and AIG?) Sedgwick was 75 when he
wrote that and in a letter to Darwin in 1859 signed off as "a son of a
monkey"!! Further Sedgwick was a leading geologist and one of the most
significant in sorting out the Lower Palaeozoic i.e. camrian to Devonian.
Giberson could equally well have given a snippet from Lord Kelvin, Joule and
the President of the Royal Society in 1860.

George will comment on Luther but if true then give Luther a chance.
Copernicus only published in 1543 and died in 1543. This is probably from
his Tabletalk which was written down by others.
All in all Giberson seems pretty shoddy in his research. And I was about to
buy his book!!!!

Dare I ask? Is Giberson a scholar? If he is he is devoid on any
understanding of a historical perspective. When a new scientific theory
comes out it is never unanimously accepted. E.g my geology dept taught
continental drift as the most likely view in 1966-8 even though most
especially American geologists did not accept it at that point. We were
taught others did not accept it, but were taught to question.

The trouble is that this type of nonsense is repeated ad nauseam and few
bother to check it.

Michael

PS I cant dig up Marston's webbook either I shall ring and see what's
happened.