Science and Spirit (was Re: Giberson & Yerxa vs Numbers #2)

From: Dr. Blake Nelson <bnelson301@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat Jan 03 2004 - 22:04:49 EST

This is tangentially related since Giberson is the
editor of Research News &c. (which has changed its
name) and a contributor to (or has some more august
role possibly) to Science & Spirit since they are both
under the auspices of the Templeton Foundation.

Has anyone noticed an "editorial" shift in Science &
Spirit of late? I had not read it in several months
and pick up the latest issue and Giberson has some of
the same inaccurate science vs. religion quotes as
Michael Roberts posted to this list in a sidebar piece
(which took up an entire page) and does nothing in his
piece on Penrose -- to which it was a sidebar -- to
correct the fact that a significant percentage of them
are outright lies, including the Calvin quote Michael
posted.

Now, Science & Spirit had at least had a vague
theistic vibe in my prior readings, but the last issue
seemed to lurch into the conflict metaphor,
traditional religions are rather wrong-headed, theism
is a little too confining, etc... now, perhaps, I was
a bit nonplussed by some of the interview with
Goodenough, combined with the inaccurate conflict
quotes that were reported as if they were accurate, as
an accompaniment to the Penrose/Giberson piece, but
this issue seemed different from the earlier issues I
had read.

Did anyone else read the thing and have any thoughts?

BTW, if Giberson was as careful in his book as with
those science v. religion quotes (which means not at
all since I did not see where he said which ones were
bunk), I wouldn't bother with it. Of course, I have
generally liked some other things I have read by him
in Research News (now named something else).