Darwinian and non-Darwinian (was Re: RFEP & ID)

From: Robert Schneider (rjschn39@bellsouth.net)
Date: Fri Sep 26 2003 - 11:54:52 EDT

    Jim writes:

    > Generally, when we describe someone as a "Darwinian," we are saying that
    > they believe that gradualism and selection are the important features in
    > evolutionary process. It seems that ecologists tend to be hard-core
    > Darwinian.
    > Non-Darwinian biologists view drift, founder effects, macromutations
    > with multiple effects) and similar processes as the important mechanisms
    > an evolutionary pathway. S.J. Gould popularized this in the punctuated
    > equilibrium model.
    > Jim Behnke james.behnke@asbury.edu
    > Asbury College
    > Wilmore, KY 40390 859-858-3511 x 2232

    Thanks, Jim. I'm grateful for this statement. But a query. Do not such
    phenomena as gene flow, genetic drift, founder effect, etc., still depend in
    some way on selection, as in the establishment of a new population in a new
    environment (e.g., migration to an island), even though the rate of
    evolutionary change may be much more than gradual? Help me out in
    understanding and clarifying this point.

    Bob Schneider
    (Berea College ex-patriate now in Boone, NC)