Re: Van Till's Ultimate Gap

From: Terry M. Gray (
Date: Fri Sep 05 2003 - 11:00:38 EDT

    Howard replied:

    > >From: "Terry M. Gray" <>
    >> I think that Christian theologizing is
    >> profoundly and absolutely dependent on the Biblical text (even if it
    >> leads to antinomies, apparent contradictions, and apparent
    >> paradoxes).
    >I accept that as _your_ definition of "Christian theologizing." Various
    >concepts regarding the character and degree of that dependence do, however,
    >lead to a remarkable diversity of Christian theologies.
    >> That, if anything, is the meaning of the authority and
    >> sufficiency of scripture.
    >Adding the concept of "authority and sufficiency" serves to select a subset
    >of the theologies acknowledged in my comment above. Your theology is in that
    >> Show me from a Biblical text argument that my theology
    >> is wrong and I will change my theology (at least I hope so).
    >I believe you.
    >> Theology that goes beyond the Bible is mere speculation.
    >Show me a theology that does not contain any speculative elements that go
    >beyond what is explicitly stated in the canon. :)

    Notice that you've changed my wording a bit. There is a "good and
    necessary consequences" aspect to handling the Biblical text that I'm
    not willing to call speculative. So I'm going to reject the
    "explicit" demand here. Also, I fully recognize the diversity of
    theologies--although I will be the first to admit that often (but not
    always) the differences that divide Christians are on subjects that
    perhaps aren't so clear from the text.

    I guess I'd ask you (or the group) to give me an example of what you
    believe to be a speculative element within traditional evangelical
    theology that is not rooted in scripture. I can't think of any right
    now ;-)

    Fort Collins, Colorado  80523
    phone: 970-491-7003 fax: 970-491-1801