Re: the tradition that Abraham engaged in astronomical studies

Date: Thu Jun 26 2003 - 07:45:17 EDT

    In a message dated 6/25/03 10:35:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time, writes:

    > I didn't say it was your personal opinion. Eli Barnavi & other Jewish
    > scholars
    > are right in citing it as tradition but are wrong in thinking it to be
    > theologically
    > sound.
    > Shalom,
    > George

    Eli Barnavi does not present it as being theologically sound, nor does he
    present it as theology, nor did I, but as post biblical tradition symbolically
    positing the 2 great religions of the time and showing Abraham abandoning them
    for monotheism. Again, no astronomy except what is absolutely necessary to
    present the metaphor, which brings up another point. Is it appropriate to consider
    extra canonical Old Testament texts and post BIblical Jewish texts when
    trying to understand the Old Testament? IN tyhe same vein, is it appropriate, for
    example, to use the Nag Hamadi texts to understand early Christianity?