Re: Columbia

From: Stein A. Stromme (
Date: Sat Jun 07 2003 - 09:43:24 EDT

    [George Murphy]

    | D. F. Siemens, Jr. wrote:

    | > But the piece was quickly decelerated by the air through which
    | > they were flying, so the relative velocity on striking the shuttle
    | > wing was close to the velocity of the craft.
    | This would require that air resistance quickly kill off the
    | _upward_ velocity the foam would have had on breaking away. That
    | would take some time, & again one needs to know some numbers to
    | estimate whether there would have been enough time.

    It seems reasonable to me that air resistance would indeed be a
    stronger factor in this situation than the 1G of gravity you allowed
    for in your own computation. What is special about upward velocities
    with regard to air resistance?

    Stein Arild Str»mme            +47 55584825, +47 95801887
    Universitetet i Bergen                  Fax: +47 55589672
    Matematisk institutt
    Johs Brunsg 12, N-5008 BERGEN