Fusion Power

From: Lawrence Johnston (johnston@uidaho.edu)
Date: Sat May 31 2003 - 20:53:58 EDT

    Dear fellow ASA-ers:

    In the June issue of Perspectives there is a nice article by Ian
    Hutchinson, about his work on fusion power, in magnetic
    confinement reactors.

    This reminds me of a question that keeps coming back to me so I
    hope there is someone on our List who can help me understand why
    there is a hope that fusion power will someday be a practical
    energy source.

    Hutchinson talks about the D-T (Deuterium-Tritium)reaction as
    being the fuel. I can see where there is a natural source of
    Deuterium in heavy water. But where can you find an economical
    source of Tritium? My understanding is that tritium is made in
    fission reactors, so there is enough to do experiments with. But
    where would one get commercially important amounts of Tritium?

    I hope someone is lurking who has some knowledge of this field.

    May God richly bless, Larry Johnston

    Lawrence H. Johnston home: 917 E. 8th st.
    professor of physics, emeritus Moscow, Id 83843
    University of Idaho (208) 882-2765
    Fellow of the American Physical Society
    http://www.uidaho.edu/~johnston/homepage.html =========