Re: George Carey and Colin Powell

From: Dr. Blake Nelson (bnelson301@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat May 31 2003 - 17:43:59 EDT

    Not to debate the point, since that seems futile and
    offtopic, the essence of the dialogue is the same --
    is the use of hard force appropriate -- of course the
    question is not as accusatory as the gross
    simplification of it is. The Powell response is
    essentially the same as portrayed in the gross
    simplification that hard power is sometimes necessary
    to allow soft power to do its work and the US does not
    exercise hard power simply to assert its influence.

    While I am not impressed by the gross
    oversimplification that the fictionalized story
    portrayed, in being dismissive of the substance of the
    quote if the susbtance turns out to be true, which it
    appears to be, dismissiveness seems an inappropriate
    response, especially when the underlying data you
    requested is provided.

    Perhaps this is a cultural difference between someone
    raised in the midwestern U.S. and someone who was
    raised some place else. If I appeared to be utterly
    dismissive about a story and subsequently found out
    that there was some basis for the fictionalized story
    that underscores, in part, what actually happened, I
    would not still be utterly dismissive about it.

    But, I will end this discussion or lack thereof.

    --- Michael Roberts <michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk>