Re: The forgotten verses

From: Iain Strachan (iain.strachan.asa@ntlworld.com)
Date: Sat May 31 2003 - 14:19:49 EDT

    Debbie writes a lot of sense here; it is the closing out of love that
    concerns me, particularly in the bitterness and sarcasm with which Vernon's
    observations are received.

    I for one don't insist you have to believe all that or agree on all the
    details to be a Christian. But when Michael writes something like:

    > I get fed up with the superspirituality and offensiveness of people like
    you
    > who assume that those who dont support your silly myths of numerology and
    > YEC have rejected the Bible.

    .. then I seriously wonder how in the world you can call someone "offensive"
    and then reply by being equally offensive yourself. Michael has frequently
    on the list stated that he does not understand the maths behind Vernon's
    theories. Therefore surely that position of ignorance does not qualify him
    to state that the "numerology" is a "silly myth", and even if he was
    qualified to suggest it was all wrong, then a reasoned argument is far more
    persuasive than using perjorative language like that.

    > I have tried to answer your questions but you simply have a closed mind
    and
    > heart

    .. and the same is true for you, I'm afraid; I've repeatedly tried to reason
    with you that this is something that it's reasonable to look into; that it's
    part of my own personal journey etc. I have never suggested that you should
    go along with it or that it or anything else was necessary for your
    salvation. Not the slightest acknowledgement have I received from you on
    this, nor any convincing argument why I should not pursue this, or indeed
    seek to discuss it with a group of intelligent scientifically oriented
    fellow Christians. But everytime the subject comes up, when there are
    individuals on the group who have responded in an intelligent manner that
    aids discussion, we don't get very far before you come out with one of your
    nasty sarcastic statements, like the triangular olive leaves. I've tried
    very hard not to close out the love aspect here, but it's all I can do at
    the moment to close out the rising anger.

    Iain