Re: Preoccupation: Was Do non-U.S. .....

From: RFaussette@aol.com
Date: Sat May 31 2003 - 09:10:39 EDT

    In a message dated 5/30/03 5:10:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
    jcannon@jcannon.washjeff.edu writes:

    > Rich F. said:
    >

    > > I am not preoccupied with homosexuality.
    >
    > And my 83 year old mother says, "I am not old." Obsessed with
    > homosexuality appears to be more accurate.

    I just finished a review of David Sloan Wilson's Darwin's Cathedral (an
    entire chapter on Calvin's Geneva) and am working on a piece titled The Structure
    of Religious Systems and the Liberal/Conservative Divide in order to explain
    what one should know about the rift over homosexuality and the Levitical
    prohibitions in general in the Christian churches. I am researching it because a 75
    year old carmelite monk gave me a book titled Goodby, Good Men How Liberals
    Infiltrated the Roman Catholic Church (Michael S. Rose - regnery publishing)
    expressing his distaste for what was happening from his point of view.
    I want to know what was happening in the Protestant world since I have an
    idea what's happening in the Catholic one, and this list helps me do that.

    I got this from deal hudson of crisis magazine this week:

    Francis Cardinal Arinze, Nigerian prelate and president of the Vatican's
    Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue, gave the commencement address
    at Georgetown University's recent graduation ceremony. University dean Jane
    McAuliffe asked the cardinal to speak on Christian-Muslim relations, but the
    cardinal chose another focus for his address.

    And his choice caused a firestorm.

    Later, many professors voiced their outrage over Arinze's speech. A letter
    protesting the address was signed by 70 faculty members and sent to McAuliffe
    few days later. One professor even left the stage where Arinze was speaking.
    Another professor (and priest) took it upon himself to apologize "on behalf
    of
    Catholics" for the cardinal's "insensitive remarks" which the professor said
    were "un-Christian." Still another professor said the presentation was
    "wildly
    inappropriate."

    So what exactly did Arinze say?

    Here's the offending passage: "In many parts of the world, the family is
    under
    siege. It is opposed by an anti-life mentality as is seen in contraception,
    abortion, infanticide and euthanasia. It is scorned and banalized by
    pornography, desecrated by fornication and adultery, mocked by homosexuality,
    sabotaged by irregular unions and cut in two by divorce."

    Now we all know that Georgetown claims to be Catholic while ignoring the
    Church's full moral teachings. Nevertheless, I can't help but be bowled over
    when I read stories like this. Here's a great leader for the Church, the kind
    of man that we've all been praying for in the wake of scandals where many
    American bishops have remained fearfully silent. Finally, a Cardinal we can
    respect for proclaiming the truth.

    I come to this list and find my fellow Christians embroiled in the same
    controversy. So, I speak from the research I've already started and the 5,000 words
    I've already written. You can call it obsessed. I call it knowing my
    material. Some people shirk from these arguments. I want to get to the bottom of them.
    I'm going to Jerusalem.
    How about you?

    rich