Re: pseudogenes and design

From: tpi.hormel@attbi.com
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 21:38:40 EDT

    I'd like to thank Terry for forwarding my emails to this list. I will
    probably subscribe to the list after my email address "stabilizes"
    (Comcast bought ATT Broadband's internet service: My address will have
    to change yet again).

    Jim Armstrong asked about pseudogenes and functionality...

    It's probably fair to say that most people think most pseudogenes
    probably don't have a specific or "realized" purpose. Many pseudogenes
    exist as defective copies of existing, functional genes. In the case
    of "processed pseudogenes", many were probably "broken" in some way from
    the moment they were made. Below is a link to Mark Gerstein's lab pages
    at Yale:

    http://bioinfo.mbb.yale.edu/genome/pseudogene/

    And a recent paper out of his group:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12083509&dopt=Abstract
    Harrison PM, Gerstein M., Studying genomes through the aeons: protein
    families, pseudogenes and proteome evolution. (J Mol Biol 2002 May
    17;318(5):1155-74)

    - Tim