Re: The forgotten verses

From: Vernon Jenkins (vernon.jenkins@virgin.net)
Date: Fri May 30 2003 - 17:43:06 EDT

    Michael,

    This verbal exchange began as a result of your treating us to some typical
    hyperbole, viz "What I am saying is that YEC and any fundamentalist nonsense
    creates a severe problem to both the head and the heart of any Christian
    striving to follow Christ." (23.05) -
    having earlier said, "If I were presented with the choice of YEC or atheism
    I would choose the latter as being more in the spirit of Jesus.", and " If
    the choice was YEC and any form of liberal Christianity I would choose the
    latter for being closer to the teachings of the Bible."

    I can well understand why you would now wish to disengage, but before doing
    that perhaps you would now properly address the matter which formed the
    greater part of my recent posting, viz the essential nature of man - as it
    is presented in the Scriptures (eg Gn.8:21, Ps.2:1-3, Jer.17:9, Jn.2:25,
    Ro.3:10,23) - and how this might impact on the C/E debate. As a Christian
    minister of long standing you will of course be aware of these
    'fundamentalist' Bible teachings - which, incidentally, appear to be
    adequately confirmed by what we know of ourselves and others. However,
    perhaps you would like to give us your views.

    My own feeling is that the debate cannot be properly and meaningfully
    engaged until this fundamental human flaw is factored in; for surely, if
    there is doubt about his being a reliable witness in respect of ultimate
    origins, then it should be declared - wouldn't you agree? According to the
    Bible, both Creation and Flood were supernatural events; why then should we
    be expected to believe those who tell us that only natural forces were
    involved?

    And one further question that has always intrigued me: when you assembled
    your _condensed_ version of the Bible, how did you decide which verses to
    leave out?

    Vernon
    http://www.otherbiblecode.com