Re: Do non-U.S. Christians say "God Bless America?" (fwd)

From: George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Fri May 30 2003 - 12:43:17 EDT

    Nobody should be offended by "God bless America." Everybody - & especially
    Americans - should be concerned about the inability of many Americans, & especially
    their political leaders, to be self-critical. Americans, & especially the current
    variety of Republicans, often sound as if they think they know goal of world history
    & are able to reach it by their own efforts - a kind of capitalist inversion of Marxism.
             It's true that thousands of Americans have died in foreign lands "to keep them
    free" - but in all our foreign wars there was an admixture, sometimes small & sometimes
    large (e.g., the Mexican War) of American self-interest which may have been in conflict
    with the best interests of people of others nations. People in other countries
    shouldn't forget the former. Americans shouldn't forget the latter.
            Now can we talk about something that's connected with science? ASA is not the
    American Political Affiliation.
                                                    Shalom,
                                                    George

    --