Re: Do non-U.S. Christians say "God Bless America?"

From: Don Winterstein (dfwinterstein@msn.com)
Date: Fri May 30 2003 - 06:39:06 EDT

    Sondra Brasile wrote:

    > So what part about the word "abomination" are you not grasping?

    Scientific discoveries force us to reinterpret the Genesis creation
    accounts, the Flood account, the Tower of Babel account, etc., etc. All
    this necessary reinterpretation means the Bible and its inspiration were not
    what a lot of conservative Christians thought they were.

    Where does the need to reinterpret end? In heaven. On earth we need to
    integrate our experience of the world with our personal knowledge of God
    through the guidance of his Holy Spirit. When our world changes as
    drastically as it has over the past several centuries, we can't expect
    directives to people thousands of years ago necessarily to apply in fine
    detail today.

    What does apply today? God has given us his Spirit and minds to integrate.
    Inspired by his Spirit we should not look at religion as a set of laws and
    rules but instead as guidance for living lives pleasing to him. The number
    one moral principle that Jesus gave was that we love one another. This
    principle transcends all other laws and rules, and all other laws and rules
    need to be interpreted in terms of it.

    Just as we have looked in detail at evidences for the great age of the
    world, and that look forces us to reject a strictly literal interpretation
    of the Genesis creation accounts, so also Christians have looked in detail
    at sexuality and the lives and motives of homosexuals and have concluded
    that some of the directives from thousands of years ago are less consistent
    with the law of love than certain revisions of those directives.

    If behavior is approved by a proper application of the law of love, no one
    should call it an abomination.

    Don