Re: "Design up to Scratch?"

From: Keith Miller (kbmill@ksu.edu)
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 16:13:29 EDT

    > I'd be interested in further details on those "many other components to
    > evolutionary change."

    Here a some that I can think of off hand:

    Founder effects
    Accumulation of neutral mutations
    Gene and chromosome rearrangements
    Lateral gene transfer
    Viral transmission of genes
    Gene duplication
    Chromosome duplication
    Genes that control and even increase mutation rates
    Direct genetic responses to environmental factors
    Endosymbiosis
    Species selection - differential survival of lineages
    Mass extinctions as agents of evolutionary change

    Keith B. Miller
    Research Assistant Professor
    Dept of Geology, Kansas State University
    Manhattan, KS 66506-3201
    785-532-2250
    http://www-personal.ksu.edu/~kbmill/