Re: No death before the fall theology (fwd)

From: Dr. Blake Nelson (bnelson301@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 06:46:11 EDT

    I thought the doctrine of Original Sin, which
    Augustine further expounded upon, went back to
    Tertullian who IIRC had legal training. Far be it
    from me to cast aspersions on lawyers, but that and
    his Stoic philosophy probably influenced his (and
    Augustine's subsequent) development of the doctrine.

    Many Eastern Orthodox like to point out the doctrine's
    relatively small influence in Orthodox theology and
    the consequent relatively non-legalistic theology
    surrounding the atonement historically in Orthodoxy.