Re: Do non-U.S. Christians say "God Bless America?"

From: Don Winterstein (dfwinterstein@msn.com)
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 04:10:24 EDT

    Rich Faussette wrote in part:

    >There is no such thing as a gay Christian.

    As a young man I agreed, because the homosexuals I knew were very promiscuous, and the acts they engaged in seemed to epitomize perversion.

    Later I loosened up a bit, because I came to understand that married heterosexuals commonly engage in analogous acts, and I was no longer so sure they were perverse. Nothing in the Bible prohibits any kind of loving physical interaction between man and wife.

    At present I'm looser yet, because I believe the law of love trumps any individual law. Homosexuals I know now have lived in committed relationships practically their whole adult lives. To me, commitment is the important thing. The acts themselves may not be so perverse after all. And I see no chance the world's population is in danger of falling to zero any time soon. (Where I live a substantial drop is the stuff of dreams.)

    Whether the state of being gay is genetic or not is kind of irrelevant when gay people time and again claim their orientation is not within their power to change. From what I've heard, they find heterosexual relationships as personally repulsive as I find homosexual ones; I believe I have no control over my feelings of repulsion, so I suspect they have no control over theirs.

    So.I'd still rather the whole topic didn't exist, and I'm still not what you'd call supportive, but I'm sympathetic and definitely question the validity of Rich's assertion.

    Don