Re: pseudogenes and design

From: Jim Armstrong (jarmstro@qwest.net)
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 00:45:16 EDT

    I have a question for those knowledgeable in this domain. Is there any
    reason to think that at least some of these pseudogenes are not simply
    artifacts of the evolutionary structure-creation "effort" that went
    nowhere, or of structures which may have at one time done something
    (whether beneficial in some way or not, we cannot tell) but which
    subsequently "broke" and have degenerated into non-functional residues?
    It seems like much of this discussion assumes that every feature is
    there for a specific and realized purpose. That would seem to be
    unlikely in an evolved structure with the complexity of DNA.

    Jim Armstrong