Re: Evangelizing the Big Bang Proponents (text of argument)

From: Keith Miller (kbmill@ksu.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 22:09:41 EDT

    > How can this be used as an evangelistic tool? The secret lies in
    > another well-established piece of knowledge: Aristotle's principle of
    > causality. Aristotle stated that, "Everything that comes to be has a
    > cause." In other words, if it didn't exist before, and at some point
    > it exists, there must be a cause for that. To use a familiar example,
    > your parents are your cause. They are responsible for your existence.
    > Aristotle's principle has a natural corollary, or consequential
    > statement. "There cannot be an infinite regress of causality." In
    > other words, the line of causes cannot stretch back forever into the
    > past. At some point, there must be an "uncaused cause," something
    > that caused things to be without requiring a cause itself.
    > Aristotle'Ěs uncaused cause has frequently been called
    > "Aristotle'Ěs god." Who or what is Aristotle's god in light of the
    > Big Bang, which is certainly the first thing that was caused by it in
    > our universe? Let's
    > first see what it is not.

    In fact the "unmoved mover" of Aristotle is not at all the real God
    revealed at the cross in the Person of Jesus Christ. In fact it is not
    at all obvious that Aristotle's god would necessary be a god at all.

    I am with George Murphy in much of this. I am not sure that natural
    theology works as an evangelistic tool. People come to Christ by
    encounters with the church community which is his physical presence on
    Earth.

    Keith